Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Too close for comfort

Good times here in Las Anchorage, warm winds from the south, festive feelings, and wildlife that roams the campus…


I am pleased to announce that the intelligence factor of students here on the APU campus covers the full gamut from genius to not so genius, myself falling somewhere in the middle. On this fine March evening, I was accompanying four other enthusiastically (intelligent) hooligans to the dorm from a Northern Light photo presentation sans a care in the world. Little did we know (mostly me) we were about to encounter one of Alaska’s finest moose inhabitants. I have this great tendency to not look up tonight being a grand reason to cut that from my practice. My mind in a full on frenzy as the stand off between man and beast occurred no more than 75’ from our presence, its ears down (red flag?) and glaring towards our direction. The brains of the bunch (not me obviously) decided it would be a PRIME time to take a photo, clicked the shutter, flash went off – illuminating the eyes of one happy animal (let me tell you) as it trot towards us down the path. Doing the only thing I could think of I hopped off the path and hugged a tree like it was the most irresistible… yeah, anyway the tree and me = connected. Everyone else had scattered backwards unannounced. As the moose strode past, it stopped just shy of the tree I was getting acquainted with, and stood parallel to my current location not more than 15 feet away… Not exactly the place I desired to be in, I tried to stay as motionless as possible. Eventually after what seemed like and hour and a half, ok like ninety seconds, the moose began to move back into the brush. The others appeared out of the abyss, we (I- with everyone in close pursuit) decided to rally, and run like the dickens (dickens, equivalent to quickly, with brisk intent, faster than you can say hyper tension). I kept it in 6th gear until I was behind closed doors of the entry way of the dormitory… an experience that I shan’t forget anytime soon, nor do I hope to repeat…

May your lessons be educational and times merry…

Vivas

No comments: