Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Challenge...

Over this immaculate blur of spring break, I indulged with seven days of riding at Alyeska…. “I would like to take this moment to thank my mother and father for footing the bills of those $50 lift tickets…” I kid, I kid, it was $33, but seriously while up in the crevasse of mountain life (or so I would like to think), I was also able to experience another form greatness; the greatness which exists at the Challenge Alaska adaptive ski school. There you will find dedicated, passionate ski/snowboard bums from all walks of life who donate their time to enhancing the learning environment for students of all ages. In return as a volunteer you get to log some riding time of your own… Deals like these folks, work for everyone. I can’t even begin to explain the amazing energy, and drive that many of the students have. Although wearing the name tag of disabled around ‘regular’ life their enjoyment goes above and beyond many of the temporary able bodied people I have come across. There is something to be said for tackling a seemingly steep mountain, one that made me so afraid of skiing that I often would call my mom for support, (thanks for being there, Mom) Ok, so maybe that is a stretch, but really, I give much credit and admiration to those individuals who dare to dream and more importantly make that dream a reality. I walk away with changed perspectives and ambitions, in a world that is so full of chaotic nature its grand to know that a little volunteering goes a long way…


Do what you can, with what you have, where you are…

Vivas

No comments: