Saturday, March 05, 2005

PS EXTRA EXTRA read all aboot it!


More to howl about than just warm weather up in Anchorage...
copyright castillo 2005

Welcome to Saturday March 5th, 2005!!!
Just seven days away from the the largest Canoe and Kayak Exhibition in the world... and I am here bringing you news of an 1049 mile dog sled race from Anchorage to Nome Alaska, where are my priorities?

This morning the cerimonious start of the Iditarod Dog Sled Race kicked off. What seemed like millions, (probably thousands) of people lined the streets of downtown Anchorage this morning to watch all 79 dog teams commence their mighty journey into the vastness of the Alaskan wilderness. We parused through the crowded streets in attempts to getting some decent shots. Although my beloved could not be with me today (80-200mm Nikon AF 2.8 lens) me and the rest of my crew went on in hopes of capturing the moment. Had I really thought about it I would have momentarily woken up much earlier and gotten a better spot. there were copious amounts of people making it extremely hard to get up close and personal. Anchorage's finest were out there protecting the people and disturbing the peace, err I mean keeping the peace.

The dogs, were much smaller than I had imagined. All highly energetic and wearing booties, I could only fathom what it would be like spending days on trail keeping each one entertained as nightfall fell and darkness settled all around. Definitely not this guy for the job. At any rate there are some photos up and about, to have a gander at...

Hope all is well an exciting in your time zone, and may the weather not be unseasonably mild...

Cheers

No comments: